World no.10 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga has been given the all clear to play Wimbledon after fearing his hopes would be dashed by a muscle lesion in his hip suffered at Roland Garros.
 
Tsonga was forced to retire because of the injury during his French Open fourth round match against Mikhail Youzhny and the initial outlook seemed bleak.
 
He immediately underwent a series of tests and seemed resigned to missing Wimbledon for the second time in three years. Doctors prescribed complete rest and the injury-prone 25 year-old responded admirably with a new MRI scan showing the dramatic results.
 
"We've avoided the catastrophic scenario," said Tsonga’s coach, Eric Winogradsky, "The MRI showed the lesion has completely healed. Jo will now return to rehab with his physiotherapist and we will meet in London to prepare for Wimbledon on Monday."

At Roland Garros Tsonga revealed movement was painful and virtually impossible from the opening game against Youzhny. Previously he had complained that he requested a late start in a bid to overcome the injury but the tournament organizers had refused to agree to the wishes of the leading French player.

Tsonga suffered a serious knee injury that required surgery after reaching the Australian Open final in 2008. He was also constantly troubled with back and abdominal problems during his early years on the tour and suffered a herniated disc when still in his teens.
 
“I do the best to be at the top level but I have injuries,” he said.  “So be it.  I try to do my best to be ready.  I hired a physiotherapist this year to be with me all the time, even when I'm not playing in tournaments.  I also have another chiropractor looking at me.  I really do my best, and I take all the necessary precautions.”



Leave a Reply.